Museum of books and printing M. Burg created as a division of Ostrog regional Museum on behalf of the Council of Ministers of the USSR order of the Ministry of culture of the USSR and the opening of 10 December 1985 on the funds of societies of lovers of the USSR and the Ukrainian SSR. The author of the subject-exposition plan of the Museum – S. Pozhigovskaya, the author of the artistic design Is. Shapovalov (Leningrad).
The exposition is based on a significant book collection, the beginning of the formation of which is associated with the activities of the Brotherhood named after the princes of Ostrog, which set itself the goal to restore the castle of the princes of Ostrog, to create a historical Museum and library in it. In 1910, the Brotherhood was opened in Ostrog daneshouse which received the first books, including the Ostrog Bible in 1581 and 9 manuscripts and early printed books.
The most Active period of acquisition of the Assembly – 1970-1990, when the books came to the Museum thanks to the fruitful cooperation with the reserve funds of large libraries – them. M. Saltykov-Shedrin (Leningrad). Lenin (Moscow), them. V. Vernadsky (Kiev), them. V. Stefanyk (Lviv). V. Korolenko (Kharkiv), Historical and parliamentary library (Kiev), library of the state University. I. Franko (Lviv). A significant amount of liturgical literature was obtained as a result of a survey of religious buildings in the Rivne, Khmelnytsky, Ternopil regions; a number of Cyrillic old printed books were purchased in the families of the clergy. The purchase of exhibits also played a role in the replenishment of the book collection: some of the books were purchased from residents of Ostrog, a few – in second-hand stores in Moscow (“Rarity”, “Book discovery”, shop №55). Great help in completing the collection provided the society of book lovers: they gave a selection of facsimile editions, 250 letters in the languages of the peoples of the USSR 1970-ies, a collection of Soviet miniature editions.
Today the collection consists of 4,900 books, which are exhibits of the main Museum Fund, including almost fifteen hundred old printed books of the XVI-XVIII centuries and about 150 manuscripts of the XVI-XXI centuries.
The Museum is located in the monument of defense architecture of national importance – Lutsk gate tower of the middle of the XVI century. The tower, erected to protect the city on the approaches from the Lutsk hotel, played the role of a Central link in the defense system of the city, and is a rare example of a defensive structure – Barbakan.
Barbican (the term comes from the medieval Latin barbecana – external fortification of the city or fortress) – element of the middle Eastern fortifications, designed to protect the approaches to the city gates. Consisted of a tower and fortifications of the Bastion type around the outer gate connected with the inner city gates, enclosed walkway called the neck, the inside had a system of covered galleries, which went guard, watching the surroundings, and which microtubules the defenders of the city during the attacks of enemies.
The Tower was designed by Jakub Madline – Russian architect of the late XVI – early XVII century, master of the Lviv masonry workshop. Came from graubünden. He is considered the author of the Church in Stryi (1599), the Church of St. John the Baptist in Zaslav (1599-1630-ies), the Church of St. Michael and The Bernardine monastery in Zaslav (1602-1630-ies), Lutsk Brama in Dubno (1623), the Tatar gate and the great synagogue in Ostrog. He participated in the design of the bath of the assumption Church in Lviv (1628).
Lutsk tower for many years served as a key defensive structure of the Western part of the city fortifications. The plan of the tower is complex, in the form of a rectangle with dimensions 13×8 m and an oval with dimensions on axes 20X13 m. the height of the tower is 18 m.on both sides it was adjoined by city defensive walls. The tower is crowned by a luxurious Renaissance attic decorated with white stone carvings.
Thread Motifs are varied – volutes, rosettes, palmettes. Author Atik Ostrog towers said Peter, Sperandio, a native of the Swiss city Breno. The harmonious proportions of the tower, finely executed decorative details make Lutsk tower one of the most striking works of Ukrainian defense architecture of the XVI century.
The Tower is located on a hill in the part of the city, which is still called Krasnogorsk. According to one version, the name means Beautiful mountain. Another version says that there was a frontal place-a place where” chopped foreheads “or” folded foreheads”, that is, a place for executions.
Several legends are associated with this area. One of them tells that once a year at night here from the earth emerges a well filled with magic water. But to scoop up this water, which brought health and wealth, it was not easy – you need to be very clever, and still know a certain spell, because the one who tried, but could not – lost everything. Like every self-respecting Museum, ours also has its own Ghost, which is associated with the location. There is an old Ostrog legend which tells that the executioner who carried out execution executed the innocent person, knowing about her innocence and without having made anything to prove it. Remorse had brought the executioner to suicide, and since then he sometimes benmeziane dark nights haunting Krasnohirka.
The Exhibition is focused on the coverage of the history of Ukrainian books – from the emergence of printing in Ukraine in the early twentieth century (history and existence of the book). The exposition area of the Museum is 400 m2 and consists of four halls. In the halls of the first and second floors are the main exhibition devoted to the history of printing in Ukraine, two rooms of the third floor are exhibition.
Exhibition complexes of ground floor
The Origin of writing among the Slavs.
The birth of book printing in Europe.
Volyn Athens (medieval Fort As the intellectual capital of Ukraine in the XVI century).
The Beginning of the activities of Ivan Fedorov (Moscow, get lost, Lviv).
The Ostrog typography Prince V.-K. Ostrog (1577-1636).
Ostrog Academy (1576-1636) as the first powerful educational and publishing center in Eastern Europe.
Spiritual libraries of the region of XVI-XVIII centuries.
The Activities Ostrog bookbinders (stroler).
Two dioramas: a monastic scriptorium and a medieval printing house.
Exposition complexes of the second floor
Paprico in Ukraine of the XVI-XIX centuries.
The assumption of the Orthodox Printing house of the Lviv stauropegion brotherhood (1591 – 1787).
Printing house of Mikhail Slezka in Lviv (1638 – 1667).
The Wandering of the printing press in Ukraine of the XVII century.
Lviv printing houses of XVI-XVIII centuries.
The Printing house of Kiev-Pechersk Lavra (1615 – 1918).
printing house of Pochaev Greek Catholic monastery OO. Basilian (1733-1918).
Foreign ukrainika XVII-XVIII centuries.
Secular libraries in the region of XVIII-XIX centuries.
Small printing houses in Ukraine XVII-XVIII centuries.
The art of decoration of old printed books of the XVIII century.
ABC books of XIX-XX centuries.
The Kobzar Taras Shevchenko.
Ostrog men’s gymnasium.
The publishing the classics of Ukrainian literature of XIX-Poch. Of the twentieth century.
THE RARE BOOK COLLECTION
Gospels. Manuscript of the middle XVI century. Volyn
The monument of Volyn book – writing school, rewritten in one of the monasteries of the Rivne region-Dermansky Li Dubensky. The book has a large screen saver, a significant number of decorative initials, which are on the pages of the book are more common than in other manuscripts. This can be explained by the interest in the text of the Holy Scripture, which was not used only in worship, but also read from beginning to end. Instructions on the order of liturgical use of texts were given on the banks.
Music aromalogo. The manuscript of the XVII century Dorogobuzh?
Among the canonical Church chants there are notes of the famous Ostrog chant of the XVI century – the oldest professional musical work in Ukraine. The chant was written by an unknown composer from Ostrog, together with Kiev and Bulgarian it is one of the three leading Church chants, which are still used by the Orthodox Church all over the world.
Handwritten Quran. Ostrog, no later than 1804
The book is an Arabic manuscript of the Koran, which not only belongs to the unique cultural heritage of the so-called “Western Tatars,” but also incredibly interesting by the fact that it was rewritten in Ostrog by Adam Ali Mustafa on a cloth paper of local production with a bluish tinge. The manuscript remains the only known manuscript of the Koran, created in Volhynia and, probably, in Western Ukraine as a whole. In addition to the Arabic text, the manuscript contains inscriptions in Polish and Ukrainian, written in Arabic letters.
Coniurations demonum. Rome, Stefan Planck printing house, 1492
the Oldest book in the collection is a small incunabula (lat. incunabula – the cradle, the beginning of the book, published in Europe from the beginning of printing and before 1 January 1501). The book describes the rite of exorcism, aimed at the expulsion of demons and other extraordinary creatures from the man possessed by them through prayer and certain rituals, as depicted in the engraving. The only incunabula in the books of the great Volyn.
Decrees of Pope Gregory IX. Paris, 1511
the second oldest book in the collection. It contains a biography of Pope Gregory IX with engravings placed in an oval stylized framework, the code of Canon law, which was based on the decisions of cathedrals and letters of the popes. Decretum operated until 1918, were very popular, many times reprinted and rewritten.
Anonymous middle-eastern Gospel (about 1555. Moscow? Lviv?)
Anonymous are books published in the middle of the XVI century, that is, in the period preceding the printing activity of Ivan Fedorov. They are considered such because no book has the original data-the exact date of printing, place of exit, the name of the printer. Book donated to Church. Lyakhov Nikolai village (now Kucanci Ostrog district), on behalf of Hetman Petro Konashevych-Sahaidachny after his death, comrade Michael Manoilenko.
Ostrog Bible. Ostrog, printing house of Prince V.-K. Ostrog, 1581
The First full printed edition of all the books of Scripture in the Church Slavonic language, carried out in Ostrog by the printer I. Fedorov, the activities of Prince K. Ostrog, prepared by the circle of scientists at the Ostrog Academy. It has 1,256 pages, numerous intros, endings and initials, six types of fonts, the main of which is stylized as a stationery letter of the time, making the book more readable and perceptible. It is a perfect example of the printed art of Ukraine of the late XVI century. The book contains the first Preface of Prince V.-K. Ostrozhsky, where he interprets the preparation of the text of the publication, the second poetic Preface of the rector Gerasim Smotritsky, which placed praise to the publisher and his coat of arms, and the epilogue of the printer Ivan Fedorov.
The book of the postnachist Vasily the Great. Ostrog, printing house of Prince V.-K. Ostrozky, 1594
is a translation of the works of one of the fathers of the Church – Basil the Great, the founder of the monastic orders in the East and West, which formed the rules and regulations of h e R n e h e g about life. The author of the engraving with the image of Basil the Great-disciple І. Fedorova Green Painter.
Oktoih. Derman, printing house of Prince V.-K. Ostrozhsky, 1604
Oktoih (octagon) – a book of Church chants (troparia, Kondakov, canons) for eight voices in Orthodox worship for eight weeks. The book is the first printed edition of the Octoechos in Ukraine, contains, along with Church Slavonic, Ukrainian prose and poetic texts, and, in fact, is the first printed book, which used the Ukrainian literary language.
John Damaskin’s Irmology. (Buynichi or Mogilev, no later than 1638), Spiridon Sable printing house
The Book contains the main text Rology I. Damaskin, is unknown in the bibliography and not marked in any Assembly, except our own.
Kotlyarevsky I. p. Aeneid (Virgil’ieva Aeneid in the little Russian language). St. Petersburg, printing house, 1798
The first periodical publication, the first printed work of the new Ukrainian literature, is written in the folk language, which is based on the material of the social life of Ukraine on the 2nd floor. ХVІІІ – beginning Nineteenth century. presented to the world the Ukrainian people – with its history, language, customs, beliefs, traditional way of life, ethical and aesthetic views – while preserving the plot-plot basis of the ancient “Aeneid” Virgil. The book was a huge success among contemporaries and led to the displacement of the old book language into a new Ukrainian folk tongue.
Paterik Kievo-Pechersky, or Edema. Kyiv, Lavra printing house, 1762
an Outstanding monument of original literature of Kievan Rus – a collection of legends about the life of the Holy fathers and the history of the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra. Contains data on the history of Kievan Rus and Kiev-Pechersk Lavra, instructive words. The authors are Bishop Simon, monks of the Lavra Polycarp and Nestor the chronicler. Mikhail Grushevsky noted:”not”The word about Igor’s regiment”, not”the Law and grace”, not the chronicle, but the Paterik became that eternally renewed, distributed, and with the beginning of our book printing-constantly reprinted product of our old literature””the gold book”of the Ukrainian written People”.
Engel.- X. History of Ukraine and Ukrainian Cossacks. Galle, 1796
The first fundamental scholarly work on the history of Ukraine, the top of the Western European Ukrainian studies of the XVIII century. “Ukraine, from the point of view of the territory, is equal to the kingdom; This is a fruitful land generously endowed with nature; it is the marginal boundary between cultural Europe and uncivilized Asia, the suburbs and the gate by the numerous Asian hordes trying to pour Europe, and in the same way, it deserves great care. “
Elizabethan Bible. Moscow, Printing house, 1756
it is based on the text of the Ostrog Bible of 1581. This version of the Holy Scripture was used by all Ukrainian writers and cultural figures of the XIX century. It was the Elizabethan Bible that Taras Shevchenko took as a basis, making the singing of Psalms.
T. Shevchenko. Kobzar. Prague, 1876
the Collection of works by T. Shevchenko – the father of the Ukrainian nation – occupies one of the main places among the national spiritual treasures. First published in 1840 in St. Petersburg with the assistance of Eugene Grebenki. The Prague edition is the first foreign and uncensored edition of Kobzar.
A museum from the day its birth within the framework of the book collection completes various collections. The collection of Western European novels of the 16th-18th centuries has about 1,100 storage units, including 30 palaeotypes (editions of the first half of the XVI century), among which – a unique and very rare edition of Brevia of Croatian (Venice, 1561), one of the few publications of the Glagolitic in Ukrainian bookshops. The collection presents the early printed books that were seen in the Netherlands (Brussels, Leiden, Antwerp, Amsterdam), Germany (Cologne, Frankfurt, Mainz, Ausburg, Hannover), Italy (Rome, Venice, Padua), England (London, Cambridge, Eton) , Switzerland (Geneva, Basel), France (Paris, Toulouse, Lyon), Poland (Krakow, Warsaw, Sandomierz, Wroclaw), Lithuanian, Belarusian, Hungarian, Czech, Austrian books, etc. The repertoire is the most diverse – from liturgical and theological books to secular publications on history, philosophy, geography, mathematics, botany, medicine, literature and linguistics.
A collection of Cyrillic early printed books XVI – beg. In the nineteenth century it is about 400 exhibits of the main museum fund. The edition of Ukrainian typographies (mainly liturgical, at least theological literature) Ostrog (Prince V.K. Ostrozsky printing house), Lviv (printers of the brotherhoods, Mykhailo Slozki, Ivan Filippovich, printing of large monastic orders – Jesuits, cappuccinoes, Bernardines, private printers Pillers and Sklichtin); the printing houses of the Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra, the Pochaev Greek Catholic Monastery, and others. Vasilian; small printers – Lazar Baranovich in Novgorod-Siversky and Chernigov, Anton Prota-Pototsky in Makhnovtsi, Carmelites barefoot in Berdichev, printing houses of the Univ monastery; Jewish seals that saw the world in Ostrog and Slavuta, etc.
The collection of painters has almost 770 storage units: from the oldest in the collection of the pamphlet F. Polikarpov-Orlov (Moscow, Printing House, 1701) and the first instruction to the children of F. Prokopovich (Moscow, the printing house Synod, 1751) to the editions of the primers XIX – beg. Twentieth century and a large collection of primers in the languages of the peoples of the USSR in the 1970s, modern editions of Ukrainian primers and primers in the languages of the peoples of the world. More than 100 copies of the collection of Kobzarov by T. Shevchenko. The oldest – Kobzar, published in Prague in 1876 – is the first uncensored edition of this famous book. The collection of miniature books (up to 10×10 cm) has almost 600 copies. The oldest child is the treatise by J. Slaidano About States (Virtemberg, 1561), the smallest is the Anthem of the USSR in Estonian with the application of the n original (Tallinn, 1979). The Bible collection has several hundreds of different editions of the Scriptures. In the collection there are two originals of the Ostroh Bible in 1581. Among the most interesting are the Vuika Bible (Kraków, 1599), the first translation of the Bible into the German language of Martin Luther (Lüneburg, 1614, in the colophon 1613), two volumes (vol. II, t. VI – respectively 1655, 1677) of the unique six-volume Bible of the polyglot edition Thomas Roicroft (London, 1655, 1657), the Sacred Bible (Antwerp, 1634), the Magna Bible (Paris, 1643), and others like that. And also – collections of local lore literature and compatriots books, books with autographs, Ukrainian literature of the twentieth century, including the periodicals of the Ukrainian classics of the 1920s and 1930s, collections of exlibrises and original book charts.
INFORMATION ABOUT MUSEUM
Museum of book and publishing of the communal institution “State Historical and Cultural Reserve of Ostroh town” of Rivne Regional Council
35800, Ostrog of the Rivne region, street. V. Chornovil, 3a; tel. (03654) 2-32-71 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – closed
Tuesday – 9:30 to 17:15
Wednesday – 9:30 to 17:15
Thursday – 9:30 to 17:15
Friday – 9:30 am to 4:00 pm
Saturday – 9:30 to 17:15
Sunday – 9:30 to 17:15
Book museum and book printing on the map